Monday, January 3, 2011

We are having a baby!

We are still trying to process the fact that we are going to be someones mom and dad, but we are pretty excited!  I can barely believe that we are already in week 10. 1/4 of the way there - as my friend Alicia likes to remind me.  Time has been going by so fast, I have a feeling this baby will be here before I know it!  It seems like a lot has happened in the last 10 weeks so I thought I would start out by sharing the story of how we found out we were pregnant. 

Andrew and I decided that we wanted to try to have a baby at the end of October. It's funny how things change once you decide you want a baby. You would have thought that we had been trying for years or something. We bought an ovulation kit, did a bunch of research, started taking vitamins, etc. Pretty funny considering we never really knew if we wanted to have kids until recently. 

Well, our wish came true!  We were very lucky to get pregnant the first time we tried.  Only a few short weeks after we told our family and friends we were 'trying,' we got to tell them it worked! We are going to have a baby!  Of course those few short weeks of waiting, didn't feel so short... 

The first 'sign' I had was peeing about a million times a day.  I ended up setting an appointment with my primary doctor to see if perhaps I had a bladder infection or maybe I was pregnant?!  Well, that was a waste of money!  She had me pee in a cup to test for each - NEGATIVE.  So it wasn't a bladder infection and it didn't show I was pregnant. However, it was still a little early to tell.  I felt a little disappointed that I didn't get any of the answers I was looking for and the doctor made me feel stupid!  She suggested that maybe I'd been drinking more and that was the reason for the excessive peeing. Ummm...I think I would know that!  So to cheer myself up I went shopping at Target and purchased some cute little PJs for the baby I didn't know we had conceived.  I decided that I should just be patient and I would get my answers soon enough.  This all happened on a Thursday.

That Saturday I couldn't stand it any longer...I'm real patient!  I had a pregnancy test on hand and woke up in the morning with the idea that I didn't care anymore - I was just going to take it already!  So I got up before Andrew and took the test.  As I sat there waiting for the little timer to be done I really didn't think it would be positive.  As you know - IT WAS!  So I went in the bedroom and woke Andrew up saying I had something to show him.  I'm pretty sure we were both in shock. (and Andrew was probably trying to figure out if he was dreaming or not!)  We are going to have a baby - Wow.

1 comment:

  1. FINALLY! I've been waiting for this blog to start! :) Ohhhh...being pregnant was such a wonderful experience! I was one of the lucky ones who really did enjoy it..and I have a feeling you will too. BEST WISHES ALWAYS!!! Can't wait for the posts after baby that talk about getting pooped on, etc. HA HA HA!!!

    ReplyDelete